Natural Skincare: Better for You and the Planet
Monday, 9 March 2020 | Admin
Our skin is hugely important – quite literally, as the skin is our body’s largest organ and has many crucial functions. From immune defence to regulating our body temperature; our skin is a real working horse amongst our organs. Keeping it healthy is a no brainer, and thanks to the always-expanding true natural skincare market, it is now easier than ever to do that. Switching to ethically produced cosmetics from natural ingredients is probably one of the best things you will ever do for your skin and our planet. Fewer chemicals mean fewer irritants for your body and also fewer toxins released into the environment.
Read on to find out our top picks when it comes to natural skincare
Browse our Natural Skincare range now
Natural Skincare: Our Favourites
Weleda Skin Food
For many decades Weleda Skin Food has been a staple in many bathroom cupboards around the globe. Rightly so, it is absolutely jam-packed with all things good and natural for your skin! The combination of active ingredients like natural oils, vitamins, antioxidants, and fatty acids creates a unique and rich nourishing natural skincare product. Use as a day or night cream, a hand, foot and lip cream. It keeps skin hydrated and supports it's natural protective properties.
Trilogy Rosapene Night Cream
Take your beauty sleep literally with the Trilogy Rosapene Night Cream. The cream's nourishing mix of Rosehip Oil, antioxidants, goji berry extract and manuka honey acts as a super health and youth boost for your skin. It works with the skin's natural regeneration process and keeps it bright, smooth and hydrated.
Trilogy Everything Balm
As the name suggests, the Trilogy Everything Balm is a true multitasker when it comes to natural skincare. The carefully created formula of natural oils such as rosehip, coconut, jojoba and marula as well as manuka honey, echinacea and pawpaw ensures an all around healthy skin. And best of all - it can be used by the whole family!
Natural Skincare: 3 Good Reasons Why You Should Consider Natural Products
1. No toxic chemicals
In 2015, a survey carried out in the US by the Environmental Working Group found that an average woman uses 12 personal care products which contain 168 different chemicals in total. Even though not all of these chemicals are highly toxic and compared to the US, many hazardous substances are banned in Europe, it is still very likely that the majority of those chemicals impact your health negatively.
While some are responsible for causing different skin conditions such as rashes, dryness and similar allergic reactions, others are linked to hormonal imbalances, an increased risk of cancer, impact to fertility and so on. Since regulations and bans vary between regions, and with the global market being so accessible nowadays, it can be difficult to navigate the different ranges in order to find safe synthetic products. It’s easier, faster and better to opt for natural skincare products that don’t include any chemicals at all!
2. More effective
Nature has been around for a lot longer than humans. It had millions of years to develop it's many plants and natural substances. Needless to say, Mother Nature’s formulas are pure perfection! Natural skincare products are loaded with nourishing ingredients that your skin craves and loves. After all, you are a product of nature and you are designed to thrive on nature.
Some of those nourishing ingredients to look for in natural skincare products are:
- Vitamin C: Boosts the body’s collagen production, acts as an antioxidant and helps to reduce the onset of wrinkles.
- Vitamin E: This antioxidant keeps your skin hydrated and protected.
- Aloe Vera: Moisturising and very soothing. Supports the healing process of your skin.
- Rosehip Oil: Highly effective antioxidant. Moisturises & brightens your skin, treats wrinkles and fades scars.
- Jojoba Oil: Penetrates deep skin layers in order to keep dry skin hydrated.
- Coconut Oil: Moisturises skin and thanks to its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties, it acts as a wholesome support for healthy skin.
- Tea Tree Oil: Acts as a natural anti-inflammatory for your skin to treat acute acne and to prevent breakouts.
- Argan Oil: The combination of Vitamin A and Vitamin E, as well as fatty acids and antioxidants, brightens and moisturises skin perfectly.
3. Better for the planet
Chemicals are not just potentially harmful to your body but also to the environment. During the manufacturing process, and during personal usage, the synthetic substances end up in the water, the air and the soil. adding to already alarming pollution levels.
Also, many conventional skincare brands package their products in plastic tubs and bottles, as well as additionally wrapping them in plastic coated boxes. Natural skincare companies are often committed to keeping their impact on the environment as low as possible and opt for reusable or recyclable materials to package the products. Many choose glass, metal, already recycled plastic and cardboard. Making natural skincare an all-around better product for the planet!
Natural Skincare: Why Is Your Skin So Important?
To understand how large of an organ your skin really is, picture an area of two square meters. That is about the size of an adult’s skin, it’s huge and it counts for approximately 16% of your body weight! In addition to its enormous size it has a lot of very important jobs to do, according to the HSE these are:
- Acting as a protective barrier against thermal, mechanical and physical injuries as well as hazardous substances.
- Keeping the body hydrated by preventing the loss of moisture.
- Protecting you from UV radiation by producing melanin.
- Regulating your body temperature by sweating, erecting the fine hair on the skin and controlling the heat transfer of the small blood vessels underneath the skin surface.
- Being one of your senses - touch.
- Helping to detect and fight off infections as part of the immune system.
- Producing Vitamin D which strengthens the immune system and reduces the risk of many diseases such as cancer and osteoporosis.
So taking care of your skin is not just a matter of beauty, it’s also a matter of health for us and the planet. A natural skincare routine will ensure your skin functions in the best way possible. And who doesn’t love a true healthy glow?
What is your favourite natural skin product or tip?